Skip to main content

What is Indigent?

‘Indigent’ means any household or category of households, including a child headed household, earning less than a combined gross income, as determined by the municipality during the compilation of annual budget in terms of a social and economic analysis of its area, as vested in the municipal policy, which qualifies for rebates or remissions, support or a services subsidy, provided that child support grant is not included when calculating such household income.

Who Qualifies for Indigent Status ?

  • The applicant must be a resident of the uMgungundlovu District Municipality
  • Have a valid South African Identity Document
  • The applicant must be eighteen (18) years of age and above
  • The applicant must be the owner or tenant who receives municipal services and is registered as an account holder on the municipal financial system
  • All households that are child headed, even if they are below eighteen (18) years of age can apply for the indigent support
  • If unemployed: i. A sworn affidavit stating that you are unemployed; and ii. A sworn affidavit stating that you have no other source of income
  • If employed: i. Latest salary/wage pay slip or a letter from an employer stating your income ii. If self-employed, a sworn affidavit stating how much you earn per month and iii. Proof if receiving a disability grant, maintenance grant or pension
  • Maximum Combined Household Monthly Income must not exceed R 5000